Get a burst of bright flavor with this sweet and tangy Asian Cabbage Salad. From the crunchy texture of the cabbage and carrot to the deep nutty flavor of the peanuts and sesame seeds, and the freshly squeezed lime juice will undoubtedly slow each chew to a therapeutic experience. I turned this simple Asian Cabbage Salad to a superfood powerhouse by adding chia seeds. Serve as a side dish with your favorite fish or poultry or enjoy as the main entree. I fulfilled my salad with baked salmon fillets drizzled with olive oil, lemon juice, and smoked sea salt. Near the end of my supper, I was filled to the brim.
We all know about chia pets. And yes, the seeds used to make the chia pets are one of the most popular superfoods. Chia seeds are rich in Omega-3s, antioxidants, calcium, and fiber. The seeds expand in your stomach from the fiber absorbing significant amounts of water which then reduces hunger which then leads to weight loss. Last winter I read from “Life & Style” magazine that Taylor Swift lost 10 pounds by snacking on chia seeds. My brother called me last week asking me if I knew anything about chia seeds. He read Dr. Axe’s article about the “Top 9 Chia Seed Benefits & Side Effects” and was blown away by the nutrient dense seed. You can eat the seeds raw, but according to Dr. Axe, the most beneficial way to access their nutrients is by grinding or soaking them. My brother’s enthusiasm only encouraged me to explore more about the tiny electrifying seed.
- 1 small to medium size head of cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, shredded or peeled
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1.5 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1.5 tablespoons chia seeds (soaked in 1 cup of water for 30 minutes to 2 hours)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 jalapeño, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped fine
- 4 tablespoons peanuts, chopped (set aside 2 tablespoons for garnishing)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 fresh lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon tamari sauce (gluten free soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- In a small skillet toast sesame seeds over low heat until golden brown and fragrant. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, food processor, or blender mix the dressing ingredients- the garlic cloves, jalapeño, cilantro, 2 tablespoons of the peanuts, honey, lime juice, fish sauce, tamari sauce, and the rice vinegar.
- In a large bowl, mix the salad ingredients- the cabbage, carrots, cilantro, and red onion. Toss with dressing to coat evenly. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. The longer it sits the better it tastes! Garnish with sesame seeds, chia seeds, and the remaining peanuts.