Two things that stood out to me the most at this year’s Super Bowl 50: Lady Gaga’s bright red pantsuit and the Mountain Dew ‘Puppy Monkey Baby’ commercial. I still have goosebumps from Lady Gaga’s theatrical performance of the Star Spangled Banner. I’d say she is right up there with Whitney Houston’s 1991 performance of the national anthem. The half time show was ho-hum until Bruno Mars kicked it into gear. The game itself was a little dull being more defense dominated. Good for the Broncos, I’m happy with Peyton Manning’s win. I loved Manning’s response to his victory to-do list- kissing his wife and kids, celebrating with family and teammates, and that he’s “gonna drink a lot of beer tonight…Budweiser. Von Miller’s buying.” Manning claims Budweiser didn’t pay him to say that, but regardless it was unexpected and fun to hear him say that. Don’t you feel like downing a celebatory drink or two after a major accomplishment? I know I did after my marathon! What are your favorite Super Bowl 50 moments?
Moving on to the slow cooker top sirloin recipe. I had to mention bits and pieces about the Super Bowl; I did, in fact, spend four hours of my life watching it. The purpose of a roast is to give comfort and warmth to people like myself in colder climates. The roast takes a bit of preparation with the searing of the beef and the chopping of the vegetables. The key is to cook the beef on low for approximately 8-12 hours until the meat is fork tender. I slow cooked it once before on high for 6 hours and the beef was close to dry. I also highly suggest to serve it with cauliflower mash. I promise you won’t miss mashed potatoes.
- 1 three pound top sirloin
- 2 large sweet onions peeled and halved
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped into 2 inch pieces
- 1 rutabaga peeled and chopped into 2 inch pieces
- 1 turnip peeled and chopped into 2 inch pieces
- 5 garlic cloves peeled
- kosher salt and ground black pepper
- smoked paprika
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Pat beef dry with paper towel. Rub salt, pepper, and paprika generously all over beef. Add olive oil to heated skillet. Place top sirloin in the hot skillet and sear beef on each side for approximately 2 minutes until golden brown.
- Place onions, carrots, rutabaga, turnip, and garlic in bottom of slow cooker. Place the meat on top of the vegetables. Pour in beef broth.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 12 hours until the roast comes out fork tender.